ABOUT THE KIM CENTER
We accelerate the achievement of equal status for all genders in the workplace. We value clarity of purpose with dedication to progress, emotional intelligence, and mindfulness of our actions and their impact on others.
In our work with employers and communities, we use data-driven tools to collaboratively design and implement actionable plans. Our strategy generates impact on both the macro and micro levels:
- Join the Gender Equity Collaborative and engage with like-minded members
- Transform company culture with our LEAPS program
- Form regional Gender Equity Collaboratives
- Transform local culture with our GenderLEAP™ program
- Subscribes to one standard of accountability for all employers
- Generates lasting change by transforming culture at the deepest level
As the daughter of Korean immigrants, Hei-ock Kim had always been taught that a woman had to be exceptional if she wanted to shine among men. In 2016, during a moment of clarity inspired by exhaustion, Hei-ock decided it was time for a better effort to help women simply receive the success they deserve without working extra hard for it.
Her first question was: "Why is it taking so long?" In researching the history of the women’s movement, she discovered three things in particular that hampered its progress:
- People place the onus on the everyday woman, who is already overly busy, to figure out how to get what she deserves
- People measure different factors over time, so it’s difficult to tell what progress is actually being made
- People think that deep cultural transformation can happen through national or global prescriptions
Therefore, Hei-ock created the Kim Center to focus on three areas:
- Work directly with employers to transform their working environments using data-driven and custom strategies
- Measure change using academically researched and standardized metrics for gender equity
- Unite each community around a single action plan, and then connect like-minded communities to generate a sustainable upward trajectory for gender equity in our country
As a nonprofit, the Kim Center maximizes the spirit of collaboration and always serve the mission first.
Kim Center for Social Balance is a 501(c)(3) based in San Diego, CA